C. 2011The Bridge - Evesham Road, Headless Cross, Redditch, Worc's, England B97 4JX
A Centre for Christian Worship & Community Life - Serving The Community Of Headless Cross & Southcrest
St. Luke's History
St. Luke’s History by Jim Sullivan
When Frederick Lacon was appointed rector of Headless Cross in 1850, the building was a small “Chapel-of Ease” (originally constructed in 1843 by Harvey Eginton) seating about 150 people. This building had pews on the ground floor for upper class parishioners and, at the back of the chapel, there was a balcony which was reached by climbing an outside staircase where the working class people had to stand for services. By the 1860’s, the parish numbered about 2,000 and the chapel was far too small. The Reverent Lacon set about raising the £2,000 plus that was required to build a new larger church. This he did by writing “begging” letters to all and sundry, bishops, M.P.s etc. He even wrote to the then Archbishop of Canterbury however, we do not think that was fruitful. The largest contribution of £200 came from the Windsor family who occupied Hewell Grange.
The present church was built in 1867. Frederick Preedy of London was the architect who designed many of the churches in the area. The porch entrance and part of the south wall are from the original chapel as is the pulpit and the font. Part of the original altar rail can still be seen at the front of the chancel and the wooden floor blocks on the south half of the church indicate the original area (as distinct from the rest of the floor which is boards).
Of special interest is the “Capronier” window which was designed and manufactured by the famous stained glass expert in Belgium. Also, the “Rose Window” in the west wall is significant as it depicts the 12 Apostles.
St. Luke's was renamed 'The Bridge' on Ash Wednesday 25th February 2009 when it joined with Headless Cross Methodist Church as an Ecumenical Partnership.
For more details about the church building click here.
For historical church plans click here.